To improve the quality of life of the residents of the Austin State Supported Living Center (formerly the Austin State School) by:
- Maintaining financial resources for special needs.
- Supporting the volunteer recruitment efforts of the Community Relations staff.
- Encouraging and supporting staff through morale-raising activities.
- Providing education to the public about the Friends and the AuSS Living Center's population
- Supporting the continuous beautification and enhancement of the homes and facility at the AuSS Living Center.
The Friends of the Austin State Supported Living Center is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) group for the Austin State Supported Living Center. Improving the quality of life for the residents was the original mission when the Friends was founded in 1956 and continues as the organization's mission today. The Friends is governed by a Board of Directors, made up of a President, Vice-President, Treasurer, Secretary and Directors. The Board of Directors meets bi-monthly, generally on the third Monday. Other Friends members serve on committees, such as fundraising, events/projects, and recruitment committees. The full Friends meets twice a year. The Community Relations Department of the Austin State Supported Living Center (formerly the Austin State School) is the liaison to the Friends.
The Friends sponsors two major events each year, both held in the latter part of the year: the Spooktober 5k and Fall Festt fundraiser and the Tree of Lights, an annual holiday event for residents and neighbors normally held the first Tuesday in December.
Through the fundraising efforts of the Friends, in the last two years, several projects have been funded to benefit the residents at the center, including a sunshade for the Aquadome deck, a new van for community outings, and furniture for the remodeled Main Street Diner.
The Friends accepts tax-deductable donations to support its mission. You can help by donating the following items or money for them:
- Tickets to movies, sporting events and other community activities
- Art & crafts supplies, recreation activity supplies, birthday party supplies
- Barrier-free lifts, communication equipment and other adaptive equipment that meet specific needs